Cannot ad members to replica set?

I am attempting to setup a 3 node replica set.
Alll 3 mongod are running on separate hosts and name resolution configured vi /etc/hosts on all nodes.
I created mongo-admin, mongo-root and cluster-admin users in the admin db on node1.
Authentication is enabled in the mongod.conf on each node.
I was able run rs.initiate() on the first node ok wihtout issue. logged in as (mongo-root)
Now when trying to adding the other nodes with rs.add I am getting below error?
MongoDB Enterprise rep1:PRIMARY> rs.add(“mongodb02.test.int”)
{
“operationTime” : Timestamp(1558367519, 1),
“ok” : 0,
“errmsg” : “Quorum check failed because not enough voting nodes responded; required 2 but only the following 1 voting nodes responded: mongodb01.test.int:27017; the following nodes did not respond affirmatively: mongodb02.test.int:27017 failed with Authentication failed.”,
“code” : 74,
“codeName” : “NodeNotFound”,
“$clusterTime” : {
“clusterTime” : Timestamp(1558367519, 1),
“signature” : {
“hash” : BinData(0,“ABmzlIOz94CegUlFfqsWYjSK3gw=”),
“keyId” : NumberLong(“6692111607595532289”)
}
}
}

I tried running rs.add while logged in as cluster-admin which has clusterAdmin role but still I get same error?

When running on different hosts mongod processes needs to authenticate between them selves. That’s another level of complexity that, I think, made the mongo staff to write the course using different ports on the same machine. In this case, cluster membership does not need to be authenticated.

You may read https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/core/security-internal-authentication/ to get some insight on how to do that.

yes, I have setup the keyfile whcih exists on all 3 hosts in same location and permissions are set for the mongod user.
The keyfile is referenced in my mongod.conf
I am not sure if I am having issue because on first attempt to run rs.add to add the second node I was initally getting a host unreachable error in which I realized that firewalld was blcoking the port so I have since disabled firewalld and not gett this authentication error?
Thought this was suppose to be easy to setup?
Oh well, been at this since friday

I am out of idea. I would verify that the replica set names are all the same. A typo is always possible.

thanks they are all the same.
when I login to mongo shell on second and third node they think they are secondary’s but status is failed
MongoDB Enterprise > show dbs
2019-05-20T13:23:15.234-0400 E QUERY [js] Error: listDatabases failed:{
“ok” : 0,
“errmsg” : “not master and slaveOk=false”,
“code” : 13435,
“codeName” : “NotMasterNoSlaveOk”
} :
_getErrorWithCode@src/mongo/shell/utils.js:25:13
Mongo.prototype.getDBs@src/mongo/shell/mongo.js:139:1
shellHelper.show@src/mongo/shell/utils.js:882:13
shellHelper@src/mongo/shell/utils.js:766:15
@(shellhelp2):1:1

I would try to :

1. Restart all mongod without authentication.
  2. Do the rs.add calls
  3. Restart all mongod with authentication

when using keyfile authentication is enabled automatically,
I had already tried that route, thanks though

the key files were different, I am not sure how because I generated them on node1 and simply scp’d the file to the other nodes.
For now on when using key files I be sure to do an md5 checksum on the keyfiles before trying to initialize the replica set.

Is everything working now?