Can you use GCP instead of AWS for the lab?

It looks like there have been changes to the UI since this course was created, and I tried following along with the video before tha lab. It wasn’t clear if I needed to use AWS or GCP…and I used GCP. So now after getting to the lab, I see the directions indicate to use AWS. I am trying to undo what I did…and use AWS, but it isn’t letting me do the free option. So can I just use GCP? Does it make a difference?

Hi @Ronna_63887,

Yes, the UI of Atlas has changed since the time of the recording of the videos and we are aware of that. We are still in the process of updating the lecture videos and hopefully it should be out soon.

From the M001 perspective, you should not have any difficulty in following any lecture or doing the labs, if you are running you cluster on GCP severs. The process of connecting from Compass and mongo shell is same, so don’t worry.

Yes, you can create only one free tier cluster from an account in atlas that’s why you are not able to create another free tier cluster.

However, if you really want to run your cluster on the AWS servers, then you can simply Terminate your current cluster and spin another free tier cluster on AWS.

For Terminating the current cluster, On your home screen, click on and a dropdown menu will appear, from the menu select Terminate and it will ask for the name of the cluster. Enter the name of the cluster and then click on terminate.

If you face any other issue, please feel free to get back to us.

Happy Learning :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer