Can we install MongoDB on an AWS EC2 Instance?

I am trying to Install MongoDB (To Use mongo shell + Atlas) on a Linux machine.
And the Linux machine I have is an EC2 instance. But the problem I am facing is I am unable to decide what OS version (of Linux) should I choose in order to download respective MongoDB installer, and that’s because I am unable to figure out the RHEL/Linux version of the EC2 instance. Any help/suggestions?

I do not think you need to install mongod for M001. As far as I know the course and the labs are done using Atlas.

Thanks steevej-1495, for quick response.

Actually its there in Chapter2 Installing the mongo Shell (OSX / Linux) .
I have completed installing on Windows platform, but got stuck while trying to complete the next part (on Linux)…

I’m guessing you’re not the owner/admin of the EC2 instance? Are you not able to obtain this information from your Sys Admin? And do you have the correct permissions to install an application/server on the Cloud instance?

Consider installing it on your host machine if possible. You can install under other OS’.

Thank you 007_jb,

I just managed to install it…! Yeah… :slight_smile:

I created a yum configuration file, specifying the details, and could do yum update to install the MongoDB…

[ec2-user@ip-10-0-0-78 ~]$ mongo --nodb
MongoDB shell version v4.2.0

quit()
[ec2-user@ip-10-0-0-78 ~]$

Thanks all,

1 Like

Hi @Mahendra_61549,

I’m glad your issue got resolved. Going forward, for any other course you can always refer the about page of any course to see the system requirements.

20%20PM

Hope it helps!

If you have any other issue please feel free to get back to us.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer

1 Like

Hi @steevej-1495,

Yes, the learners are required to install MongoDB on their system in the M001 course as we extensively use mongo shell along with Compass for data manipulation.

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Support Engineer