I used the wrong method but got the right answer, and only realised this after viewing the detailed answer.
I will try to be vague as I don’t want to reveal the answer but I ran my first query that was returning films with a normalized_rate of 1 (which looking back was actually just the scaled_votes). With none of the results being a potential answer in the lab, I applied a filter to my $match query to only return the films that were potential answers.
This meant I was looking at an incorrect normalized_rate (1.0017 vs 1.05) and if the imdb.rating was significant enough to skew the normalised rate I would’ve had a wrong answer. Maybe this should be considered to prevent people like me from getting this correct in the wrong way and potentially not realising it.
I also noticed through this exercise that “Avatar: The Last Airbender” is actually titled “The Last Airbender” and “DMZ” doesn’t appear to exist in any form in movie.title