MongoDB.live, free & fully virtual. June 9th - 10th. Register Now

Bad user authentication (BIND, REFRESH) errors

Hello,

For at least one week we observe sporadic “Bad user authentication (BIND, REFRESH)” errors coming from client devices trying to connect to a Realm-cloud instance.

This instance hosts just one realm database, which is accessed via single user account(user/pass). The same error occurs when we’re connected with Realm Studio(using the same account) after some time period.

Please advise - is this a known Realm Cloud issue?

Regards,
Ivo

Hi @Ivo_Dimitrov,

The “Bad user authentication (BIND, REFRESH)” message is a client level error.

Per the client error descriptions, the expected cause is:

Indicates that the server has produced a bad token, or that the SDK has done something wrong.

If you are still seeing this error intermittently can you provide some more details including:

• The version(s) of the client SDK you are encountering this error with
  • Your Realm Studio version
  • How frequently this error occurs
  • Whether the occurs for all your Realm Cloud instances or is specific to one or more instances

Thanks,
Stennie

Not sure if this is applicable, but I got a lot of BIND, REFRESH errors when attempting to read a read-only realm from Realm Cloud. The error message wasn’t really clear, but what happened in my case was that I had missed the part in the documentation that says that you need to open a read only realm asynchronously the first time to make sure it is fully downloaded.

If you don’t do this, the realm will initially be empty which will cause a schema mismatch. And since the user doesn’t have permissions to change the realm schema you will get a BIND, REFRESH error.

Not sure if this is why it is happening for you, but I thought I’d share what the problem was for me in case it helps.