App Unable to Fetch Movies - CertificateException?

App builds and runs, but browser shows mflix page with error “unable to fetch movies”.

Everything in cluster appears fine. I can connect and view data with Compass, and even mongo (shell); however, when connecting with mongo shell I do see an “Error while trying to show server startup warnings: user is not allowed to do action [getLog] on [admin.]” but appears to work fine anyway.

The errors in the IntelliJ console are as follows. Not sure if this is the cause, but it sure doesn’t look good.

com.mongodb.MongoSocketWriteException: Exception sending message
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative names matching IP address 52.38.139.61 found
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: No subject alternative names matching IP address 52.38.139.61 found

Thanks in advance for any help

macOS 10.12.6
Java 1.8.0_51-b16
IntelliJ 2018.3.5

Hi @Rik_14140,

Can you share the MongoDB URI that you are using in your application.properties file?

N.

Hi Norberto… thanks for the reply.

spring.mongodb.uri=mongodb+srv://m220student:m220password@mflix-kfn6f.mongodb.net

I resolved this issue but wanted to add my findings anyway in case others were following.

The CertificateException issue seems to be an early Java 8 SDK issue (in my case 1.8.0_51-b16). I simply updated my Java SDK to the current b201 and all is well. A note for Mac users, you cannot merely update Java in the macOS System Preferences (this only updates the Internet Plugin). You need to actually download and install the SDK.

My SRV Atlas string is of form:

…mongodb.net/test

Yours is just:
mflix-kfn6f.mongodb.net

Would it create any issue?

As far as the URI in your application.properties file I don’t think the “/test” matters, but I do not include it. It doesn’t make sense to me to include it, but I’m fairly new to MongoDB. Good luck.

1 Like