Accessing the GUI of the VM

Hello,

Does anyone know if it’s at all possible to access the GUI of the VirtualBox VM? It’s because it would be easier to create a config file this way…

Thank you.

That depends entirely if the operating system that you have running within the VirtualBox VM has a GUI installed.
I highly recommend learning how to use a command line text editor. I guarantee that it will be must faster and much easier once you put the effort into learning how to use one.
Your alternative is starting down the long journey of learning all the details required to install and use a desktop environment for your particular operating system.

Are you on Linux? If so, try using nano, vi, or vim. There are some great resourses avaialble that will teach you how to use those command line text editors.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply but I created the text file using “cat >” and then copy/paste each line from a notepad file.

I need to reconfigure or whatever with my virtual box.
I can’t access shared folder and the like. I currently can’t boot up Mongod at all, without a --config flag. I receive virtual box warnings on vagrant up and as follows:
The guest additions on this VM do not match the installed version of VirtualBox! In most cases this is fine, but in rare cases it can prevent things such as shared folders from working properly. If you see shared folder errors, please make sure the guest additions within the virtual machine match the version of VirtualBox you have installed on your host and reload your VM.

Guest Additions Version: 4.3.36
VirtualBox Version: 5.2
Setting hostname…
Configureing and enabling network interfaces…
Mounting shared folders…
/shared => C:/…m103-vagrant-env/shared
/vagrant => C:/…m103-vagrant-env
/dataset => C:/…m103-vagrant-env/dataset
Machine already provisioned. Run ‘vagrant provision’ or use the ‘–provision’ flag to force provisioning. Provisioners marked to run always will still run.

I receive further warnings when I then try to boot mongod. These are about access control being unrestricted and a warning that encourages a bind_ip to 127.0.0.1. Both of these I imagine are routine. But the server hangs trying wait for a connection to port 127017.
Do I need to be booting into a different port?
Do I need to flag a user name having set an admin user name as part of the first lab in chapter1?
Do I need to run vagrant --provisioning before vagrant up?
Do I need to quit this course?

That should read I can’t boot mongd at all WITH or without a --config flag.