404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.24 80]

Hello!

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/universe/source/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.24 80]

This is the final error I get whenever I try provisioning Vagrant " Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead. The SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status. Vagrant assumes that this means the command failed. The output for this command should be in the log above. Please read the output to determine what went wrong"

Looking at the error messages I got, the only problem was this " Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/universe/source/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.24 80]"

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thank you!
P.S: I am working on Windows 10.

Hi @Elizabeth_01512,

Let’s see a screenshot of the entire output from vagrant up --provision all the way to the last line of the error message. Must include the command that you ran, whether it’s vagrant up or vagrant up --provision.

Please also run the following commands and share the screenshots:
ping 91.189.88.24
curl portquiz.net 80
NB: curl might take a few minutes so wait for it

Hi @Elizabeth_01512,

It looks like a network/firewall related issue. Are you connected to any Corporate network / VPN network ?

Please share the information requested by @007_jb. In addition to that, run this command and share the output.

telnet 91.189.88.24 80

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan
Curriculum Services Engineer

Thank you for responding @007_jb and @Shubham_Ranjan!

I ran vagrant up --provision

Here are the screenshots of the output:

And here is what I got when I ran ping 91.189.88.24 and curl portquiz.net 80ping_curl .

@Shubham_Ranjan, I use my school’s WiFi.

I ran telnet 91.189.88.24 80 and go this:

telnet

… two more questions: are you using an office laptop? And confirm your edition of Win 10, i.e. Pro, Home, Enterprise etc?

I am using my personal laptop and I use Windows 10 Education.

@Elizabeth_01512, It’s potentially your school’s WiFi that’s the culprit here. We need to test it on private connection.
Do you have enough data and a fast enough Internet to use your phone as a hotspot? Or can you try this at home/friend’s house’s WiFi/wired connection?

Hi @Elizabeth_01512,

As @007_jb mentioned, it looks like a network/firewall related issue at your end.

Is it possible for you to try to connect from some other location ?

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Thank you so much! I connected from another location with better reception and it worked!

Glad to hear! Most Uni/College connections have certain restrictions applied to them.

Hi @Elizabeth_01512,

I’m glad your issue got resolved. Please feel free to get back to us if you have any other query.

[Summarizing the thread :]

Error - post #1

Solution : Network was an issue here. Connecting to other network resolved the issue (post #11).

Thanks,
Shubham Ranjan

Closing the thread as the issue has been resolved.